nanogui: Can Nano-X display on remote X-term

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Can Nano-X display on remote X-term
From: ####@####.####
Date: 15 Oct 2010 22:35:47 -0000

Michael:

> You can run an X server on your PC This is the standard "Unix-type" way
> of doing a GUI. There are (free) X-Server programs for Windows, as well.

Yes, of course. I am not worried about the workstation end. There are
enough options there. (Windows/Xming, Windows/eXceed, Linux, or Mac OS.
Any one is good enough.) I am more concerned about the embedded end.

> The problem is that the PC is the server, so you need another network
> connection to the device (e.g. Telnet or SSH) to start the GUI program
> (this could be e.g. KDE) that will attach to the (remote) X-Server.

That's OK. Telnet or SSH to the embedded system is perfectly fine. It will
be done anyway.

> With these solution you don't needs an X-server in the embedded device
> at all, but you do need a fully fledged Widget Set installation, unless
> you application uses the X-API directly instead of a standard
> Widget-based GUI API (such as GTK).

This is exactly what I am trying to learn. What is the absolutely minimal
set of tools which I need to embedd in order to cast my graphical display
to a remote screen?

> But AFAIK, the nano-X installation
> including the Widget set is by far smaller than just GTK or a similar
> full fledged Widget set, Moreover the GUI program can run even if no PC
> is attached.

I am glad to hear that nano-X includes some widgets etc. Now I need to
learn where they are and how to use them.

My observation about the Nano-X website is that it seems to focus on
supporting the actual hardware displays. Certainly it is the case on the
Analog Devices KOOP website, where they talk about Nano-X driving LCD
screens (see the next paragraph).

You can see what the Blackfin website is saying: "Before running it on
Blackfin uClinux platform, make sure your linux kernel has video
framebuffer support. In our released uClinux-dist package, there are three
framebuffer device drivers available: adv7171, adv7393 and TFT LCD
LQ035Q7DB03."

http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=uclinux-dist:microwindows

The kind of remote app which I need is less than clearly described on
either website.

Wojtek