nanogui: how to refresh terminal emulator screens

Subject: how to refresh terminal emulator screens
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jan 2000 22:56:16 -0000

: Most X terminal applications store an ascii grid with end markers. The end
markers are
: used for cut/paste to know if a line wrapped or is a real newline.

Darran - I'll tell you a little terminal emulator trade secret and save
you a hell of alot of time, eventually.  As Alan mentions above,
various flags may be needed in addition to the ascii text.  So,
for the 80x24 array, allocate it unsigned long, and use the following
bit fields:

	bits
	31-24	8 bits of fg/bg color (16 colors for fg and bg)
	23-16 	16 bits of attribute information
			(bold, blink, reverse, underline, blank, dim,
			selearse, field attr start, protect, 2-bit charset
#, etc)
			(believe me, you'll need all 16 eventually)
	15-0	16 bits of UNICODE character information

I think I rewrote our terminal emulator, TinyTERM, three times before
we came up with the above.  Each displayed line and each scrolled-back
line consists of the above information per character cell.