nanogui: Re: loadable JPEG + BMP support for nanox !

Subject: Re: loadable JPEG + BMP support for nanox !
From: Martin Jolicoeur ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jan 2000 01:07:28 -0000

Greg,

> The nextpointer can be reset inbetween images, but images
> drawn with the old palette must be redrawn then.   This was
> my first design, that allowed one image per application with
> different palettes, and the fg application would then get the
> physical palette.
>
> Another solution is that I could bring in color quantization
> methods that an application could request, and always
> use a standard uniform palette.  This would be passed to
> the jpeg decoder, and bmp files would have to be quantized.
>
> What do you think?

The second option looks better, but hey, from what I understand/know
about
colors/palette stuff, I'll let you decide ... :-)

> :
> :
> : Maybe you're right after all ... the image is much better ... As I
told
> : you, I'm not an expert in color stuff ... Do you think you could
hack
> : something better ? I would be happy ... I have only two requirements
in
> : this area: I want to keep my fast_grayscale output for a color image
and
> : I want to be able to display a .jpg and a .bmp at the same time on
the
> : screen with proper display...
>
> The answer here depends on whether you're trying to display
> an image that looks great, or just looks good.  Have you

Well, I was pretty satisfied with my original posting ... Don't forget
that I
use a 4bpp *grayscale* lcd for the project ... So on my side it was
pretty
good ...

> tried just displaying using the uniform palette only?  That is,
> no MERGE code.  Otherwise, we could assign priorities
> from the application.

What do you mean by uniform palette ? The system palette ?

Regards,

Martin Jolicoeur
GVT Project