nanogui: Images resolution

Subject: Re: Images resolution
From: Rosimildo daSilva ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jan 2000 19:09:22 -0000

"Greg Haerr" wrote:
 > : Is there anything I can do, to improve the resolution of an
 > : image. ? I am using the "bios VGA" driver, and the image of
 > : the "car" on the microwindows demo sucks big time. I guess
 > : that must be some color/resolution thing that is not been
 > : configured correctly.
 >
 > I'm not sure if your problem is pixel resolution or color resolution.
 > The car will look fine at 640x480, but you've got to be running
 > a 256 color palette mode, or a truecolor mode that supports
 > at least about 250 colors, or the car's image will degrade.
 >
 > As I think about it, you're probably running RTEMS Microwindows,
 > which uses the hardware scr_bios.c driver.  This driver _doesn't_
 > implement the setpalette() driver function, but instead runs in
 > the VGA default 16 color mode.  So all your colors are ugly.
 > The reason this works at all is that your driver returns ncolors=16,
 > and the first 16 colors of the 256 color palette basically match
 > the std VGA colors, so the Microwindows color-reduction
 > algorithm basically maps image colors to the right values.
 >
 > The fix is somewhat hard: the std VGA runs in max 640x480x16
 > colors, without special programming.  The extended programming
 > depends on the chipset.  We may need grab some libraries
 > like GRX or SVGA and write special chipset-specific drivers
 > to get the 256 color modes.  What we really need is the GRX
 > package ported to RTEMS or DOS.

You right. It must be color resolution. Somehow I knew that
it would not be easy. :-).

I'll try to messy around with GRX, do you have a point ?.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of graphics/chipsets is
pretty limited.

BTW, I liked the new "build structure" that you guys
came up with. I hope to get RTEMS compiling again. :-).

Rosimildo.