nanogui: Technical Framebuffer proposal for RTEMS graphics

Subject: Re: Technical Framebuffer proposal for RTEMS graphics
From: Rosimildo daSilva ####@####.####
Date: 5 Feb 2000 18:43:06 -0000

"Greg Haerr" wrote:
 > In looking at microwin/src/drivers/fb.c, I have identified the following few
 > entry points as the minimal set of functionality for Microwindows
 > to run on ANY framebuffer kernel.  I suggest that these functions, with
 > a suitable API, be implemented in RTEMS, as a very simple first round.
 >
 > 1. open() of framebuffer device
 > 2. ioctl() to get framebuffer info:
 >     xres, yres, bpp, linelen, type, visual, size
 >     type is packed pixels or planes
 >     visual is truecolor or pseudo color
 >     type/visual is used to identify which fblinXX.c should be used for drawing
 >         by Microwindows. not a big deal.
 >     size - size of framebuffer
 >
 > 3.  mmap() call to map the framebuffer fd and size into this process' address
 > space.  This
 > could be replaced with the open framebuffer automatically being mapped into
 > the process space, and just returning its virtual linear address in 2) above, if
 > mmap()
 > isn't around.  Alternatively, the ioctl above could return the physical address
 > of video, and a separate new physical address -> virtual linear address system
 > call could be added to the kernel.  This is slightly simpler than mmap().
 > This item is the hardest part for RTEMS, and requires the most thought.
 >
 > 4. ioctl to switch to graphics mode.
 > 5.  ioctl to get the current palette, which is saved. (not required for
 > truecolor)
 > 6. ioctl to set the Microwindows palette at init. (not required for truecolor)
 > 7. VT switching code, which is complicated, and should be left out in this first
 > version.
 >
 > <thats it, Microwindows programs can now run with this little information>
 >
 > 8. On Microwindows exit, an ioctl() to reset the palette and an ioctl() to
 > switch back to text mode, followed by a munmap() and close(fb).
 >

 > It doesn't have to be complicated.

Greg,

I've just posted a message with an interface similar to yours.

A small difference is how the access to the driver is made.
In your proposal, many ioctls() calls to do different things.

The one that I proposed the driver would provide
a table with the entry points for the services provided
by the driver.

I have no preferences for one way or the other.
The good thing is that we all agree that a very
simple interface is required.

Rosimildo.