nanogui: Shared memory + SDL

Subject: Shared memory + SDL
From: ####@####.####
Date: 22 Feb 2000 15:19:41 -0000

Hi,

Have any of you looked any at adding shared memory support for the off screen
support?

We have a guy working on porting the open source flash viewer, and it
sort of works. However it would be *much* faster if we could allocate a
chunk of memory for an off screen buffer, and tell Nano-X to add an
off-screen screen device structure with the shared memory segment as the
frame buffer, and could blit between them.

I'm also considering porting SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer, used by
Lokisoft for Civilization CTP and other games, etc.) to Nano-X in my spare
time, and while it is trivial to do it with GrArea(), it will be a lot faster
with shared memory support (SDL basically keeps an off screen buffer, and has
a call to blit all or parts of that buffer onto screen).

If noone is working on shared memory support, I might take a stab at it,
but I'd like some suggestions about what would be the nicest way of doing
it, though.

Vidar Hokstad

(By the way, I've accepted a new position, and from March 1st I won't be
available on my ####@####.#### address, so any mail directed at me
should go to ####@####.#### or ####@####.#### - I will still work
with Nano-X on my spare time, though :)

--