nanogui: MicroWindows, Java and desktop

Subject: Re: MicroWindows, Java and desktop
From: Alan Cox ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2000 23:01:42 -0000

> this way:  with each memory access,  the processor has to look up in a
> translation table to convert each logical address to a physical address.  It's
> quite amazing that you can do it without burning up much of your memory
> bandwidth.  Never mind the problems that virtual memory causes for designing
> cache systems.

Actually

1.	You use lookaside buffers and because of locality you can hardly
	measure the overhead

2.	Caches are physically tagged and indexed nowdays. So no problem

> 	Also,  operating systems pay a high price in the time it takes to tear down
> and put up memory protection walls while context switching.  All that burns up

Its almost impossible to measure its so small

> CPU cycles,  time,  and ultimately battery power in small devices.

_battery power_ is a real one: See MMU's are gates and high speed logic,
no MMU - less gates.

> innovation of Java,  however,  is the way the JVM provides memory protection
> in ~software~ with very little cost:  the verifier does a static safety check,
Not a java innovation and they havent solved the memory fragmentation problem
without big overhead (handles)

>  There just aren't enough transistors on a smart card for hardware memory
> protection,  and more conventional methods of software memory protection would
> have too great of a performance cost.

Older CPU's used to get memory protection into < 1000 gates.

> interesting vision,  but we're already buying small devices with hardware
> memory protection and we're already running Linux on them,  so it might never
> materialize.

I take issue with your reinvention of history 8). MMUless devices can be
smaller, lower power and avoid some overheads. That I agree.

Now to get back on topic: nanogui doesnt need an MMU. I'd like to think it
can stay that way