nanogui: NanoX version 0.3 released

Subject: RE: NanoX version 0.3 released
From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 1999 11:43:58 -0000

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:

> 	You might want to send Ben this code...

Will do as soon as I get home today...

> 	In order to draw quickly, the font data really should be decompressed
> so that the low-level font code isn't dealing with having to deal with it.  This would
> allow the font code to be "side-attached" to alot of other's lower level driver
> code, without all the driver writers having to worry about all sorts of font complications
> (which, along with color mgmt, which we haven't talked about, can consume years
> of one's life...)

What I was thinking about wasn't any type of funky advanced compression
algorithm. I still think there's a few optimizations I can do that won't
add much size to the font handling code, but that could shrink fonts
without any noticeable slowdown.. I have some ideas I'll be testing
tonight.

> 	I like the idea of multiple fonts per file.
>
> 	In regards to mmap(): operating systems that support mmap() are already
> using alot of ram.  I don't think that nanoX with any number of fonts is going
> to exceed the ram in machines running mmap().

The problem isn't that nanoX + fonts exhaust ram... But when you're
running Mozilla etc., every byte count. And when you already have the data
in flash, using mmap() is a very simple way of reducing the amount of
non-pageable data (since we don't have anywhere to place a swap
partition). For our use, we'll be mmap()'ing almost everything because of
that.

> 	At the mid-level, I can't assume the OS supports mmap().

You won't have to. I could write a small wrapper function for you to load
a file that use mmap() if it is supported, and that use malloc() and
read's the file into memory if mmap() isn't supported. We're talking <10
lines of code.

Regards,
Vidar