nanogui: Re: [linuxce-devel] FLTK Port, list of Win32 functions...

Subject: Re: [linuxce-devel] FLTK Port, list of Win32 functions...
From: ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2000 05:38:52 -0000

Greg,
Yes, there are quite a few things that will need to be changed
arround.  Most of the fl*_win32.cxx files will have to be redone as
fl*_microwindows.cxx and much of it will have to be written in NanoX
speak.  Following a tip from Greg I noticed that some stuff was
getting left out in my build of fltk, so here are the functions that
should be added to the list I posted:
Arc
Pie
MessageBeep
CreatePalette //fixmeable... (very minimal impact)
RealizePalette  //fixmeable... (very minimal impact)
SetDIBitsToDevice //this will have to be done in NanoX speak prob.
CreateFont
GetCharWidth
GetTextMetrics
Polygon
RectInRegion
Polyline
PolyPolygon

I'm just trying to put together a full list of things that will be
needed for a "full port"..., however fltk will work well without all
of this functionality.  I belive at this point we have a full listing.
(Pretty sure actually, just made my first libftk.a designed for
microwindows :>... minus five .cxx files, these are the ones I'm in
the midst of re-writing.  Probably a week of concentrated work
away from getting a linking program that will execute and give
anything of use..., but oh well.)

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 09:46:53PM -0700, Greg Haerr wrote:
> Shane,
>     I am slightly revising my ideas on how to port fltk, after
> spending most all day looking into it.
>
> I think at this point, that it would be best to try to get
> fltk linked, even if it barely runs...  So, I suggest that
> you comment out many, many calls with //FIXME
> or something like that, and then work on getting
> the window creation, main loop and basic
> painting going...  pick the simplest fltk demo
> you can find and get that running.

I'm working on that right now...,  I'm just going to create my own
demo sets more than likely and tread lightly arround things that are
"known trouble makers".  A lot of the fl*win32.cxx stuff is what I
would consider "fluff" at this point.  (MessageBeep... come on :>)

> following are my revised ideas on which functions I
> can implement easily....
>
> I have all the region calls, in, but they don't all work the way
> we may need yet.  I will post a 0.88pre3 soon that has them.  In the
> mean time, we'll want a single BeginPaint/Endpaint combo for ALL
> painting
>
> : : SetAlignText - NO
>
> : : PeekMessage NO
> : (note: fltk uses a strange mechanism where win32 select() AND
> : PeekMessage() are called to handle sockets and messages...  This
> : will need rewriting to just GetMessage or PeekMessage in the
> : beginning, unless the fltk program uses sockets)
>
> Just rewrite and use a single GetMessage call in fltk's main loop.
>

> : : GetCursorPos done
> : : SetCursor NO
> : : SetWindowPos complicated - use MoveWindow instead
> : : LoadIcon NO
> : : LoadCursor NO
> : : RegisterClassEx no - use RegisterClass instead
> : : IsIconic NO
> : : OpenIcon no
> : : BringWindowToTop use ShowWindow instead for the time being.
>
> I know what we can get fltk running with Microwindows quickly.  But
> the key is keeping the number of calls into Microwindows DOWN, rather
> than UP.  Then we can add functionality after you/we get a simple demo
> running.  So, as I said, I think just getting the window creation, basic
> display and painting, and message loop going are the best bet...

Agreed.  I'm a bit concerned about how fltk handles events..., its
very odd.  Thats what I'm working on first as it's giving me lots of
headaches at the moment :).  I'm going to clean out my header files to
stock when you put up the version of which you were speaking, and then
just start commenting like a mad man.  I'm sure that we can wiggle our
way around a lot of fltk calls into microwindows.  Once we have a
linking version of fltk, we'll work on the displaying part, then
finilize the events, and then start working arround those microwindows
calls.  Either implementing them in microwindows where absolutely
necessary, or working arround them.  (There are a lot of unnecessary
calls at this point that we can definetly avoid... or re-write them
into NanoX speak.)

Thanks microwindows master Greg,
Shane.