nanogui: FLTK and other things

Subject: FLTK and other things
From: ####@####.####
Date: 6 Mar 2000 14:54:27 -0000

Hi!

It's a time ago I had a look at FLTK and found it very satisfying. It would be
great, if we could use it on top of NanoGui to write higher level UI-code.

It seems to me, that FLTK comes from the "X11-world". Is there any reason why
not port it to nano-X instead of MicroWindows interface? (I'm familiar with X11,
so sorry for that question - it should not instantiate any kind of interface-war
;-)

A few weeks ago I was in the process of porting the PAL-Library (HP-LX Palmtops)
to X11. I stopped this, because nobody needs this (I did know this before ;-).

I was very happy, that I was not the only one with having speed problems with
images etc. In some kind X11 is very ugly. So I would prefer not to have the
X11-API reimplemented (there are enough little X11-Systems) - I would more like
to see some new ideas implemented. The same for Win32, but maybe it could be
also very good to (more or less) easyly port some apps.

What about a server one could connect to like in X11 with IDs and to the same
from Win32 via shared memory?

I don't understand so much about it, but I would like to see both interfaces
developed further.

Yesterday I tried to understand nano-X, but the only documentation was the old
mini-x one. Some functions have been added since that old times. Could I support
you by writing/updating some documentation about nano-X?

I hate these monster systems (even for making documentation), but I started to
get familiar with sgml to convert the nano-X documentation to SGML, then HTML,
RTF etc.

Is somebody already working on this?

Martin Doering