nanogui: FLTK and other things

Subject: Re: FLTK and other things
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2000 00:37:21 -0000

: It seems to me, that FLTK comes from the "X11-world". Is there any reason why
: not port it to nano-X instead of MicroWindows interface? (I'm familiar with
X11,
: so sorry for that question - it should not instantiate any kind of
interface-war
: ;-)

The only reason that the first port is using win32 is that the win32 api is
much farther ahead at this point, and there lacks window management in
the nano-X api so far.  But they are moving forward.

At this point, there's quite a bit of things to do to get _any_ toolkit
running on top of Microwindows.  So getting a good idea of what's
missing from the engine is what I'm getting into.

In some kind X11 is very ugly. So I would prefer not to have the
: X11-API reimplemented (there are enough little X11-Systems) - I would more
like
: to see some new ideas implemented. The same for Win32, but maybe it could be
: also very good to (more or less) easyly port some apps.

Let's get some apps ported: you pick, X11 or Win32...

:
: What about a server one could connect to like in X11 with IDs

That runs now with Nano-X.

 and to the same
: from Win32 via shared memory?

That's something that needs quite a bit of design work, and some good LPC

:
: Yesterday I tried to understand nano-X, but the only documentation was the old
: mini-x one. Some functions have been added since that old times. Could I
support
: you by writing/updating some documentation about nano-X?

It sounds like you don't have anywhere near the latest version, which is
0.88pre3.
There's also quite a bit of technical documentation on the web site, under the
Architecture page. (http://microwindows.org)

I'm interested in more documentation for Nano-X and Microwindows APIs, in
HTML.  Start by checking out what's already written.  The Mini-X docs
are very outdated, although the concepts still hold.  Moving them
to HTML and saving the portions that relate to Nano-X would be a good
idea.