nanogui: Scalable font support ...

Subject: Re: Scalable font support ...
From: Martin Jolicoeur ####@####.####
Date: 15 Mar 2000 17:28:43 -0000

Greg Haerr wrote:

> Well, since each of the routines is known, then they might as well write
> the setting into a known portion of the MWFONT structure.  For instance,
> GdSetKerning would set font.kerning, GdSetAngle would set font.angle.
> Then, there isn't even the need for all these calls, and the MWFONT
> structure could be passed to a rewritten GdText routine.  UNLESS
> the lower level font package has to do perform a procedure call
> at the time font.kerning is set....  Do you see what I'm saying?  Are these
> just parameters to GdText, or do they actually need a procedure call
> interface?

Yes, These are just parameters to GdText. In the case of freetype (I can't speak
for T1lib), it doesn't need to perform a procedure call at the time each is set ...
These parameters are used at the time of rendering i.e. probably in the GdText
routine ...

The MWFONT structure could be passed to GdText, but if you don't have the
GdFontSet* routines then how higher level interface would change these parameters
before calling GdText ? By setting the values in the structures directly ?

Here is a typical higher-level usage I would see (in pseudo-code):

LoadFont() <- this would set default parameters (Ex: kern=yes, aa=no, ...)
SetSize(20)
SetAngle(45)
DrawText(X1, Y1)
SetAngle(0)
SetAntialiasing(yes)
SetPalette()
DrawText(X2, Y2)

UnloadFont()

> I talked with Vidar about this I think and he said that sometimes you
> may not be able to get a bitmap per character.  Is this true?  What if
> we can't get a bitmap with a font renderer?  I thought Vidar's T1 implementation
> couldn't get a bitmap...  But of course then we've got big clipping problems.

I think he said the opposite. You can always have a bitmap ... IIRC Anyway, in his
T1lib experimental code, he uses GdArea too ....

Regards,

Martin Jolicoeur
GVT Project