nanogui: Scalable font support ...

Subject: Re: Scalable font support ...
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Mar 2000 19:04:32 -0000

: For truetype fonts with freetype, glyphs aren't cached in the library,
: but in the user application using the library (in our case, microwindows)
:
: I haven't done it yet, but that will be the next step ....

Martin,
    Thanks sooo much for putting together the initial work on FreeType.
It's a great addition to Microwindows.  I've added all your stuff, with
heavy hacking to fit into the engine.  I'm very interested in your feedback.

With the new design, you can have adobe and truetype fonts concurrently
if desired.  I have purposely left out a GrSetRotation for now, as well
as GrSetAntiAliasing, since they involve some subtle issues with GC
caching.  Instead, the global variables need to be modified.  I'm
debating whether all "style" issues like kerning, antialiasing, and rotation
should be set at once, rather than with separate calls.  There's also the
issue of recomputing the matrix values.

Anyway, I'd like you to check out the t1demo.sh program, which
displays many different fonts and sizes using FreeType.  The problem is,
that the program gets _really_ slow after about 30 seconds, and it appears
that the process begins swapping, so we have a huge memory leak, IMO.
I tried to debug it, but couldn't find anything.  Can you?

After I add the GdArea mods talked about, then the antialiasing will occur
outside of devfont.c and in the drivers.  We can then finish the font support.

I'm also interested in your ideas of GrCreateFont, which takes a name
and size parameter.  Do we still want GrSetFontSize?  Some renderers may
need another font handle to create a new size, although freetype and
t1lib don't...