nanogui: nanoX bugfix v0.4 coming

Subject: RE: nanoX bugfix v0.4 coming
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 1999 18:21:12 -0000

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:
> Yes, all three.  In our first version, the upper level will use "device-dependent" bitmaps
> so that the bitblt is identical for all three.  In a later version, we'll have upper level
> formats for bitmaps that can be converted by drivers to their own low level format.
>
> In addition, we need to think about patblt, which is another form of bitblt that
> works from predefined patterns to be used for fill backgrounds.  All this can wait
> for a while though, since bitblt will allow pictures and icons to be drawn.
>
> On another note, the pointer draw routine and the low level bitblt routines should
> probably merge, so that ultimately we have just one bitblt routine for any image,
> whether its cursor or bitmap.  In order to do icons well, the bitblt needs AND and
> OR drawing modes.  I'm working on a spec for all of this as well.

Have you had a look at Allegro? It's a really excellent DOS games library
(with Windoze and X ports under way the last time I looked). The license
is pretty open:

   Allegro is swap-ware. You may use, modify, redistribute, and generally
   hack it about in any way you like, but if you do you must send me
   something in exchange. This could be a complimentary copy of a game, an
   addition or improvement to Allegro, a bug report, some money (this is
   particularly encouraged if you use Allegro in a commercial product), or
   just a copy of your autoexec.bat if you don't have anything better. If
   you redistribute parts of Allegro or make a game using it, it would be
   nice if you mentioned me somewhere in the credits, but if you just want
   to pinch a few routines that is OK too. I'll trust you not to rip me
   off.

I think there wouldn't be a problem including his code in Nano-X, and
there is some really excellent graphics code in there. I actually got into
Open Source after reading about Allegro, then getting DJGPP (the DOS port
of GCC) in order to use it.

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :