nanogui: Support for on-screen keyboard

Subject: Re: Support for on-screen keyboard
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 15:19:15 -0000

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> To be attractive for use with set-top boxes etc, NanoX will need support
> for some sort of on-screen keyboard...

I don't know about set top boxes (don't you use a remote control for
them?), but palmtops certainly need this. Have you seen
http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/perlin/demos/quikwriting.html ? I think it's pretty
cool, it seems strange at first, but it's not too bad apart from the lack
of symbols and control keys once you get used to it.

> It can be a separate client, as long as we add a command to
> generate keypress events. That's the easy part. But we also
> need a sensible way of knowing what window to target with the
> events, since the mouse pointer will be over the onscreen keyboard,
> and we don't want that to receive the events it generates.

How about a call which sends a key event to the window which was last in
focus? Or a combination of a call which returns the ID of the last window
which was in focus and another call which sends a keyboard event to a
specified window?

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :