nanogui: X11 driver palette bug

Subject: Re: X11 driver palette bug
From: George Harvey ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jun 2000 20:46:15 -0000

On 10-Jun-00, Greg Haerr wrote:
>: > I am updating my VNC port to use GrSetSystemPalette() and have run
>: > into an inconsistency in the palette setting code in the screen
>: > drivers, specifically the index used to access the palette array.
>: > As far as I can tell, the frame buffer driver uses the correct index
>: > while the X11 driver uses an incorrect index. The change needed to
>: > the X11 driver is only three lines as follows:

>George,
>    You are correct.  I have changed the X11 driver.  However,
>I don't notice any changes!  There is still a nasty bug in the X11
>screen driver, as evidenced by the ./t1demo.sh that displays
>fonts in a different color continuously.  After about 10 seconds,
>the X11 screen driver starts displaying black...

Thanks for checking that out. Without the patch, I got an all
black screen right away and with the patch I get a normal VNC
screen but I haven't done any stress testing to check longer
term stability.

>WRT to VNC, I have placed your vnc port into microwin/src/demos/vnc
>as part of the standard distribution.  There are a number of items
>that aren't yet working.  These include the set system palette that you're
>working on for the 8bpp mode, and then support for all the other
>bpp modes that Microwindows may be running in.  I plan on helping
>to get VNC running well.

Yep, I saw that. Now that you have confirmed the X11 fix, I am
fairly happy that I have 8-bit palette mode working. From what I
know of the source, I don't see any good reason that the
truecolour modes shouldn't work as-is but I haven't got suitable
systems for testing them. I will try and make my updated version
available this week and would appreciate your help in making
sure it works for all colour modes.

Regarding future developments, my port is based on VNC
3.3.2 but the current version is 3.3.3. I have had a look
at this and the viewer has been heavily updated to use Xt
instead of Xlib. With a port of fltk for nano-X on the
way, I was wondering if it would be easier to add things
like scroll bars and dialog boxes by converting the Xt
version to work with fltk or whether it would be better
to stay with a simpler viewer just using nano-X on its
own. My target platform is pretty slow so I am a bit
wary of adding extra layers of toolkit that might slow
it down even more.

(I have never programmed with Xt or fltk so I have
got no idea of how easy it would be to try and convert
a program from one to the other)

Any thoughts?

George