nanogui: Kaffe port

Subject: Re: Kaffe port
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jun 2000 17:16:40 -0000

: Yes, I have running Kaffe with Microwindows. Now I can even launch simple
: java applications (like Calculator).

That's great news.

: But there are serious problems with repainting widgets and creating frames.
: Text widgets are not repainted yet, only when being explicitly clicked on
: them. All the widgets are not properly repainted (only partially) when main
: window moved. Is there some differences with repainting (or clipping) model
: in Win32 and MWin?

No, I've tried to implement it exactly.  Perhaps you could send
me the code for the Mwin AWT native calls.  Are you running with
the Win32 code, or was it rewritten for MWin?

The refresh and paint code is of course handled in the WM_PAINT
handler.  If there are calls to InvalidateRect or ValidateRect, things
might be getting too tricky, and I might not have it implemented quite
right yet.  You might try recompiling and install Microwindows
without the UPDATEREGIONS=Y set in the config file.  Turning
off updateregions tells microwindows to not compute win32's fancy
updateregions which is a clipregion intersected with the visible
region to reduce paint time and flicker.  When off, all painting
to the visible area can occur.  There was a small bug in 0.88pre8 in
this area, but it was limited to the height of the title bar on
the bottom of a window.

If you send me the Mwin code implementation, I'd be happy to
look at it.

: Also, there are some bugs with layout managers but I think it is because of
: GetTextExtentExPoint() implementation needed.

I'll take a look at hacking this ASAP.

: However, jthreads work properly (only several tests were made).

Did you wrap each call to MWin or just call without guard?