nanogui: Re: [linuxce-devel] Re: Small open source web browser introduced

Subject: Re: [linuxce-devel] Re: Small open source web browser introduced
From: Martin Jones ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jul 2000 00:43:53 -0000

Jeff Hildebrand wrote:

> Martin Jones wrote:
> >
> > Roberto Alsina wrote:
> > >
> > > On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Greg Haerr wrote:
> > >
> > > [ ViewML announcement snipped ]
> > >
> > > Argh. You just tied yourself to code that will have no development
> > > whatsoever in the future. Why not use KDE2's widget? It's much better.
> >
> > As the primary developer of the old khtmlw I have watched with
> > some bewilderment as developers chose to port this instead of
> > the new widget.  The old widget cannot be easily adapted to
> > support CSS, DOM, XML (or other buzz words).  Its javascript
> > support is hopeless and will probably remain that way.  It
> > knows nothing of java.  No one seems interested in adding any
> > of this functionality either.
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but viewml is *exactly* what I'm
> looking for. From what I hear within the "embedded systems"
> community HTML 3.2 seems to be considered the last revision of
> the standard that can be rendered reasonably on a small screen,
> and doesn't require a massive parser. A page like, say, this one:
>
> http://linuxtoday.com/indexpalm.php3
>
> is actually readable on a small screen, and all I need to read
> it is HTML 3.2.
>
> > khtmlw is smaller than KDE 2's widget, but the number of sites
> > that khtmlw copes with is decreasing and this will only get worse.
> >
> > The new widget supports most current technologies and is
> > actively maintained.  It is nearing production quality now and
> > handles far more sites than khtmlw.  A lot more people will
> > benefit from additional developers working on the KDE 2 widget
> > too.
>
> I think that we may see an increase in HTML 3.2 pages as the
> embedded browser market increases, with a renewed interest in
> these older browsers. If the new widget is really that much
> better, I'd prefer to see a version has CSS, XML, etc stripped
> out.

I'm not familiar enough with the new widget to say how much
could be removed but I'm sure with a little effort it could
be quite useable on small devices.  What I have seen of it
has been very well designed.  I just don't see the web changing
from its current (though slow) trend of using these technologies.

It's nice personally to see my that my old baby is still
useful to some people - I was quite comfortable with khtmlw's
passing.  I just hope that the energy isn't being misdirected.

--
Martin R. Jones