nanogui: Support for on-screen keyboard - SUMMARY

Subject: Re: Support for on-screen keyboard - SUMMARY
From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 1999 12:11:56 -0000

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Alex Holden wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> Sounds okay, but I have to say I also quite like the idea now of having a
> special value (which can never be a real window ID, like -1 or something)
> for the SendKeyEvent() call which tells the server to send it to the last
> focussed window.

But do we really want to have the server handle the window of the
on-screen keyboard as a special case. Remember that the on-screen keyboard
could very well have sub-windows etc., which would mean that  to be sure
that the server doesn't keep track of the _wrong_ windowid for focus,
it would have to know that it should ignore any focus changes caused by
pointer movements over the on screen keyboard.

It's a minor thing, but the focus notification mechanism would buy you
exactly the same functionality, would be reusable for window management,
and may also let the on-screen keyboard choose to ignore certain windows
if you wish, instead of adding even more stuff to the server.

Anyway, this isn't mutually exclusive, and since we can use the focus
notification anyway, I think I'll look into writing a test based on that
first, then it would be a minor issue to add a special ID to the
SendKeyEvent() function later if we need it.

Regards,
Vidar