nanogui: Microwindows 0.88 final released for ViewML browser, iPAQ

Subject: Microwindows 0.88 final released for ViewML browser, iPAQ
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Aug 2000 09:46:30 -0000

I've finally released version 0.88 of Nano-X and
Microwindows, available at:

ftp://microwindows.org/pub/microwindows/microwindows-0.88.tar.gz

Although I didn't get in everything I wanted to, this
version is stable and provides needed support for
some important projects that I'm trying to stay
synchronized with.   My open source browser
project, ViewML, now runs client/server with
Nano-X using this version of Microwindows.
We've also added a touch screen driver for the
Compaq iPAQ, and will have the browser running
on it shortly, with full touch screen support.  We'll
release a ViewML v0.15 shortly with almost all
of the features present in the X version.  We'll
be showing all this at the Linux Expo the week
after next, and are also working on binaries that
can be downloaded without having to build.

Details on the enhancements for this release include:

GIF, JPEG and BMP image rendering with stretching
or shrinking to any size.  (PNG and PPM coming soon)
Image caching in the server if desired, without sending
image data from client to server.  We decided to support
images directly in Microwindows, rather than bringing in
the larger imLib image library, used with the X version
of ViewML.

A number of bug fixes were received from ScreenMedia,
who are working on releasing the FreePad, based on
Microwindows.

A number of new/changed config options, including
IPAQMOUSE, ADSMOUSE, and HAVE_GIF_SUPPORT
were added

There's still quite a few enhancements recieved that I
haven't integrated yet, including caret support, a chinese
input method, and some color macro bugs.  I will be
releasing an enhanced FLTK for Nano-X at the same
time as the ViewML v0.15 release.

The detailed changelog for this release is:
Version 0.88 - 3rd August 2000 - ####@####.####
 * added iPAQ mouse support from Century Software, config IPAQMOUSE
 * changed config option TSMOUSE to ADSMOUSE
 * added HAVE_GIF_SUPPORT to config, added GIF decoder
 * changed image decode algorithms, image is kept in core until drawn
 * added GrDrawImageFromFile, GrLoadImageFromFile, GrDrawImageToFit,
  GrFreeImage, GrGetImageInfo for GIF, BMP and JPEG
 * removed GrJPEG/GdJPEG, GrBMP/GdBMP
 * modified MWIMAGEHDR structure, added pitch and bytesperpixel
 * wrote decoder for 24bpp .bmp files, enhanced convbmp
 * added stretch blit, rewrote image routines in Nano-X for ViewML
 * corrected nano-X demo makefiles to work with LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER

 * Patches recieved from ScreenMedia: Jan Vehusheia
 * nanox/srvnet.c  Free allocated events to freelist when destroying
   a client.
 * nanox/srvutil.c Correctly reassign mouse pointer information when
   an application crashes while a mouse button is held pressed down.

 * Patches recieved from ScreenMedia: Jon K Hellan  ####@####.####
 * nanox/srvmain.c (GsInitialize): Initialize wp->owner to NULL.
 * drivers/kbd_x11.c (X11_Read): Initialize modifiers also when no
   key press pending.
 * demos/nanox/demo5.c (main): Correct height of bitmap2(fg|bg) in
   GrSetCursor call.

 * added Kevin's patch for destroying eventclient structures
 * added Jiwon's patch for NULL name strcpy in devfont.c
 * added Kyle's makefile patches, PORTRAIT_MODE=R or L in config

Have fun!