nanogui: License issues

Subject: Re: License issues
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 11 Aug 2000 13:48:49 -0000

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Jakov af Wallby wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Alex Holden wrote:
> > The problem is that if any part of the code is GPLed, all of it must be.
> That's a common misconception. Look at the Linux kernel, it contains
> many licenses. (Even though most of it is GPL.)
> The issue is if the licenses are compatible.

Right. I am not a lawyer and it's been quite a while since I studied the
situation in detail. The part I'm referring to is:

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

I take this to mean that something which contains code which is derived
from "the Program" (the thing which has been licensed under the GPL) must
be licensed under the terms of "this License" (the GPL).

It's well known that the Linux kernel doesn't follow the letter of the
GPL. The kernel licensees (Linus et al) make a special provision for
non-GPLed kernel modules (even though the GPL doesn't). That's why the BSD
compression code can only be compiled as a module.

> Well, I checked on gnu.org. MPL and GPL are incompatible. You can't mix
> GPL and MPL in the same program. So, right now Microwindows seem to be in
> a legal limbo...

Only if there is actually any GPLed code in it. As I said, Greg assured me
that the code in devarc.c had actually been relicensed, regardless of what
the file says in the header.

> See:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
> for a an overview of licenses and of which are compatible with GPL.

Interesting that it doesn't say what these "complex restrictions" actually
are. In general, the MPL has fewer restrictions than the GPL does.

--
--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :