nanogui: /dev/fb0 questions

Subject: Re: /dev/fb0 questions
From: ####@####.####
Date: 28 Aug 2000 21:02:40 -0000

> When executing nano-X from the microwin/src/bin directory,
> a rather significant message is produced:
>
> Error opening /dev/fb0: No such device. Check kernel config
> Cannot initialise screen

a lot of people seem to have problems with the frame buffer...
as a very simple sanity check for everyone with this sort of
problem...
do you have a picture of a penguin on your screen right after
the system boots?  if not, you don't have the framebuffer set
up correctly, and you have zero change of getting nanoX or
microwindows (assuming you wish to use the framebuffer) to work.

> First, This powerful, late-model graphics card does not work
> with the offered frame buffer architecture.

pro'lly not.  i don't even think you can get a video card
anymore without VESA2 or even VESA3 compatibility (except
the 3d-only cards, but you can't use those as your only video
card anyway).

> Please help my fire up the ol' frame buffer here.  I'm so
> eager to contribute, I just need to get my bearings.

sure.  have you read the framebuffer HOWTO yet?  well, ignore
it, it has comepletely outdated and useless info in it (unless
it had an update in the past few days).

getting the framebuffer to work goes pretty easily, as long as
you have a VESA2 compliant video card.  just turn on the VESA
driver in the kernel config, build the kernel, and put the
line "vga = 785" (for 1024x768x65k) in your lilo config file.

                                      - ben

  __---------------------------------------------------__
 /                                           _--_        \
| Every program has at least one           ,"  (_         |
| bug and can be shortened by at          {      ~-.      |
| least one instruction -- from    .-/)_   \        \     |
| which, by induction, one can    / o   ~_  `~~-.    }    |
| deduce that every program can   u_.     ~~-_   \   }    |
| be reduced to one instruction    __;  }     \   }  |    |
| which doesn't work.              W-__/ ,     |  | /    /
                                      ``   ~~~'