nanogui: Bogl changes & Nano-X-0.5

Subject: RE: Bogl changes & Nano-X-0.5
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 1999 20:01:44 -0000

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:
> There are considerable changes that need to be made to use unmodified
> bogl libraries. The first major issue is that all the bogl entry points
> need to have code added to support drawing in AND, OR and XOR modes, in
> addition to SET, which is already implemented.

I'll take a look at it

> Secondly, bogl code currently resets the keyboard, etc when asked to open the
> screen.  This code should be removed, or called separately by the upper level.
> NanoX currently has separately controlled keyboard drivers.

It'd probably be a better idea for us to use the Bogl keyboard driver when
Bogl is available, and maybe the mouse driver too.

> Fourthly, with my nano-X v0.5 modifications (detailed following) I have
> re-designed cursor management and no longer use the low-level pointer
> draw routines in bogl. This was to give some common upper-level code
> that knows about a nanoX cursor format so that we could support the
> GR_BITMAP format for cursors.  In addition,  nanoX now supports color
> cursors, which bogl doesn't.  The new mid-level cursor routines depend

Is there any point having colour cursors? I don't think I have ever seen X
or 'doze produce a colour mouse pointer.

> Some research that needs to be done is how the Linux framebuffer device supports
> more than just MODE_SET draw modes, while being just a memory-mapped device.
> The VGA hardware supports XOR/AND/OR drawing by setting bits in a control register.
> Is this the way that the framebuffer device is supposed to be used also?

The XFREE86 FB driver might be a useful reference; I have a copy
somewhere.

> 	This shouldn't be too hard, the server/drivers/bogl directory contains
> an earlier VGA16 driver.  Just define BOGL_VGA16_FB=1 in the included
> makefile, and type make clean; make from the server directory.  That driver

I suppose you haven't tried then, I got a screenfull of errors when I
tried :). Seriously, I haven't looked at how much needs changing yet.

> > On the subject of changes, I think we should have several pre-5 releases
> 	I have completed work on an interim v0.5, that, should you want it,

I'll be releasing that in about half an hour as 0.5pre1

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :