nanogui: Multiple Mwin Apps

Subject: Re: Multiple Mwin Apps
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Sep 2000 16:21:03 -0000

: I hope you remember what my suggested solution to the problem was, waaaay
: back... you have every program doing their own drawing to the screen (with
some
: sort of region manager process managing where processes have the right to draw
: to), then you can have all the API calls executed entirely within that
process,
: no need for  mashalling at all. the only difficulty is whether a process has
: be root to write to the screen. (one really cool solution is to have the
region
: manager as a device the the programs use to write to the screen as well and
you
: have one secure and very fast system... !)

Yes.  This is a cool solution.  Certainly the client apps need to
open /dev/fb0 multiple times, which is a problem, but a bigger
one remains:  having shared access to the clipping data
structures that the "region manager" that you refer to maintains.
Then, all src/engine/dev*.c draw routines would reside
in a shared library, used by all processes, but having the data
segment for dev*.c routines shared between all processes (
or referenced thru a master psd) with complicated mutex
access between them.

One of these days I ought to try to get that working...

: 2p...
: Rob Taylor
: Flying Pig Systems