nanogui: Toolkit for nano-X

Subject: Re: Toolkit for nano-X
From: "Amit Kulkarni" ####@####.####
Date: 21 Oct 2000 10:53:07 -0000

well, i was rather thinking that there are some things that are inherently
dependant on certain multitaking and background processing ideas (like
identifying events like "button is clicked" , or the timer object has to
timeout).
   I myself agree that use of the OS API should be avoided to keep the GUI
fully portable. But then how do we think about these kind of ideas.

Forgive me, but the project is just in the analysis and design phase; So i
am talking on intution rather than experience.

Sincere Regards,
Amit Kulkarni
Visit me at http://www.amitkulkarni.com

>From: "Greg's email" ####@####.####
>To: "Amit Kulkarni" ####@####.#### ####@####.####
>Subject: Re: Toolkit for nano-X
>Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:19:54 -0600
>
> > I am currently designing a widget toolkit for nano-X and was wondering
>abt
> > how much of the unix architecture can be put to use. Will it be okay to
>use
> > unix signal, fork calls and system V ipc for example?
>
>I think we should add some Nano-X IPC to allow client-client
>communications.  But if you use signal and fork, then we'll have
>to run on Linux, and you're widget set won't run on non-Linux systems.
>That's not that big a deal, except there are an increasing number of
>folks using Microwindows on non-Linux systems...
>
>IMHO, a graphics widget set shouldn't require fork(), and possibly
>not signal().  If the widget set is doing other cool stuff, then that
>widget could become Linux-dependent.  The IPC stuff should
>to into Nano-X server API.
>
>Regards,
>
>Greg
>

> > Regards,