nanogui: Improved keyboard event handler and mouse motion event handler for flnx

Subject: Re: Improved keyboard event handler and mouse motion event handler for flnx
From: Morten Rolland ####@####.####
Date: 1 Dec 2000 13:39:11 -0000

Greg Haerr wrote:

> I'll take a look at compose key processing.  I like your idea,
> with a system-defined compose key, we would send a 0
> ch value for the compose key, and then a calculated value on
> the final compose keypress in the ch member.

This is not so good for games though, in case you want, say, the
<'> key to trigger something, while at the same time it is
configured to be a compose key.  It would be easier for the game
if it didn't have to know about compose keys at all (there may be
several different ones, like ^ ~ ` ' " active at the same time,
although I'm no expert on this at all since we don't use compose
keys for Norwegian, anyone else knows more about this?).  I'm
not even sure "compose key" is the proper name for this..

If the game could look for "physical key <'>", it wouldn't have to
have any more logic.

> In this way,
> games work as you mentioned.  Actually, as I think of it,
> on the first press, we would send MWKEY_COMPOSE,
> followed by the calc'd value on the next down keystroke.

Yes, but you may have several different compose keys and
the need for more logic in the "raw" case.

> If you've got some up-to-date compose key value tables
> with correct latin-1 or unicode-16 values, please send them
> to me, and I'll add this.  I'll also take a look at ggi.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any such info.  As I said, we don't
use them in our native language.  My guess would be that if you
have a look at the latin-1 character set, there are lots of
a,e,o,u,n with a set of ~ ` ^ ' " above them.  There are characters
that I can't possibly guess the compose sequence for, like
'c' with a ',' underneath -- I don't think the comma would be
a compose character for this one... (I don't remember the  proper
name for that little thing*).

For touch screen applications, like ours, all of this will be
done in the virtual keyboard software, as multiple key-presses
on a touch screen is not yet all that usefull....:-)   E.g. we
will make a keyboard suitable for text entry only...

Regards,
Morten Rolland