nanogui: CLPS7500FE chip is slowly

Subject: Re: CLPS7500FE chip is slowly
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 1 Dec 2000 15:14:07 -0000

Simon -

Don't be so quick to judge Greg.  The mechanics behind a screen refresh
are often processor intensive, and sometimes, you just need a faster
processor.
In M$ defense, I doubt that much of their system bloat had to do with
the low level drawing routines.  But even the open source projects
suffer from slow processors.  Did you ever run XFree86 4.0 on a 100 Mhz
system? (its bad enough on my 200 Mhz machine).

Maybe the 7500 doesn't have a assembly instruction to move a block of
memory.  If it doesn't, then the system is reduced to a for loop for
blilting.  No amount of optimization will help with that.

It is my contention that the low level framebuffer routines are very
good and very fast (unlike our poor X11 drivers... :( ), and that we can
go head-to-head with any graphics engine out there.  But if you feel
that the framebuffer routines could benefit from some optimization,
please feel free to give us a list of routines that need work.
Sometimes, you might be able to lock onto something that the rest of us
missed.  This of course, is the beauty of open source.

Happy hacking!
Jordan