nanogui: nano-x and LCD's

Subject: Re: nano-x and LCD's
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2000 00:41:21 -0000

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Gray, Tim wrote:
> I had scoured the mailing list archives and found a refrence to making
> nano-x run on an LCD connected via a parallel port.  There was only a
> response that it could be done.  Does anyone have any more detailed
> information about it?  Any parts of the source code I should study to help
> guide myself down the "enlightened" path?

At it's most basic, you can write a driver which knows nothing more about
the hardware than the resolution and colour depth of the screen, and how
to set the colour (or shade) of a pixel at a particular location. Hmm,
that gives me an idea for a fun project: write an ncurses screen driver
and an Xterm mouse driver... Run microwindows over Telnet!

Once you get that working, you can write more optimised versions of the
other routines. In the case of a parallel port LCD though, you may find
that it's not possible to do it in a faster way than by using combinations
of drawpixel() calls to do all of the drawing, and an offscreen memory
area to implement the blit() and readpixel() calls (see scr_fbsd() for an
example of the latter). If your LCD controller implements line drawing
functions for example, you could get a significant speed up by using them
to implement your drawhline() and drawvline() functions (and fillrect()
can then be implemented with a set of drawhline() calls).

--
------- Alex Holden -------
http://www.linuxhacker.org/