nanogui: Linux (native) or Linux ARM (x-compile)?

Subject: Re: Linux (native) or Linux ARM (x-compile)?
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2000 15:19:49 -0000

Supriyo Chatterjea wrote:

> - Do I need to compile Microwindows using the Linux
> Native option or the Linux-ARM platform option?

For best results, you should have two copies. a Linux-native version for
development on your desktop, and a linux-ARM version for actually
running your apps on the Assabet.

> - All this while I was using the Linux Native
> platform. But I'm wondering if I ultimately want
> Microwindows to run on the Assabet, then shouldn't I
> choose Linux-ARM?

Yep, you gotta choose the compiler that fits the processor.

> - At the same time I would like the PC as a
> development platform...so I require Linux-Native
> then...am I right to say that?

Like I said, you need two copies of the code, one compiled for the X86,
and the other for the Strongarm.

> - So when do you need to use Linux-Native and when do
> you use Linux-ARM?

Match the processors:  Desktop is X86, so you use that when you run on
your main computer.  Assabet is strongarm, so use that version
when you run programs on the Assabet.  Luckly, linux will alert you when
you use the wrong version on the wrong processor, so you will
quickly learn which is which.

> - Also, assuming I need to use Linux-ARM, is the
> option only meant for SA-1100? Or is it suitable for
> SA-1110 as well?

Yes, it should work fine.