nanogui: GUILib for C

Subject: Re: GUILib for C
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2000 17:04:44 -0000

I know, I know, it goes against every Open Source inclination that I
have ever had too, but I mention this purely for the fact that Nano-X
has yet to have a toolkit that is designed specifically for it, and not
just something that we brought across from X.  I mean, we might as well
have written FLNX from scratch for all the work we have put into it
trying to get it to work with Nano-X.  It does take a ton of work to
design a decent toolkit, but will the ends justify the means?  I would
see most of the work being put into the design stage.  Once we are
beyond that, then we could add widgets in a modular fashion.  For
example, given a very specific framework, I could add a button widget
that I need, and then later on, if you needed a password entry field for
your authentication, then you could add it at your leisure.  The
important thing would be to design a very good framework that would make
this easy for all involved.  Really, its not tough to draw a button --
the tough part is designing it so that it fits into a grander scheme.

I don't know the state of the nanowidgets kit, but I would ask - Why was
it dropped?  Were they hard to use, or did nobody really care that much?

Unless you are working on new hardware or staring at the Nano-X engine 8
hours a day, it is hard to find your place as a contributor to this
project.  I would think that a new widget set would give development
opportunities to a whole new core of programmers that are interested in
helping, but having trouble finding a niche.  But then again, I have
been wrong many times in the past.  What do others think of this?

Jordan