nanogui: GUILib for C

Subject: Re: GUILib for C
From: Kaben Nanlohy ####@####.####
Date: 18 Dec 2000 21:25:57 -0000

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Alex Holden wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > beyond that, then we could add widgets in a modular fashion.  For
> > example, given a very specific framework, I could add a button widget
>
> Yep, that's probably the nicest thing about nanowidgets- the extremely
> lightweight C class framework.

After the first compile and run of demos w/nanowidgets, I wasn't able to
muster much enthusiasm.  At the time the toolset had more problems than it
does now (it dumped core if I blinked).  With all of its macro magic for
object-orientedness, after several hours of plotting out program flow I
sort of gave up trying to troubleshoot nanowidgets.

I expect those with C++ vocabs and mindsets have had an easier time.

But my $0.02 worth:  if a widget set is going to be created from scratch,
can we stick to C unions and structs and functions in implementing our
classes?

Or maybe this a personal preference sort of thing.  I have object-oriented
tendencies because I used to use java; and i know that object-oriented
programming in straight C doesn't require use of macros.

> > I don't know the state of the nanowidgets kit, but I would ask - Why was
> > it dropped?  Were they hard to use, or did nobody really care that much?
>
> I think it's just that nobody has been working on it except for
> Screenmedia.

I was planning to use nanowidgets in my projects.  Wanted to, anyway, at
the outset.  I'd use the nanowidgets kit if it became reliable or at the
very least if could figure out how to troubleshoot it.  I haven't tried
lately, but I've noticed that the demos don't crash as easily as they used
to.

> > Unless you are working on new hardware or staring at the Nano-X engine 8
> > hours a day, it is hard to find your place as a contributor to this
> > project.  I would think that a new widget set would give development
> > opportunities to a whole new core of programmers that are interested in
> > helping, but having trouble finding a niche.  But then again, I have
> > been wrong many times in the past.  What do others think of this?
>
> Maybe. Perhaps if we get a basic working core and some demo apps in place,
> people will come along and write the more complex widgets (file selector,
> scrolling text window, canvas, etc.) for us...

I'm interested in this.  I spend alot of time banging on Nano-X and RTEMS
in an embedded application, and since I'm under the gun I haven't been
putting too much energy into general apis.  But I'd be happy to start
doing that sort of thing, and I'll be able to contribute quite a bit after
the start of the new year.

-- Kaben Nanlohy