nanogui: Widget configuration in W toolkit

Subject: Widget configuration in W toolkit
From: ####@####.####
Date: 20 Dec 2000 14:30:03 -0000

Hi!

I have had a look at the W toolkit. It looks to me very similar to the Max
toolkit of the Marx (C-like) scripting language interpreter (don't search
for it - it's not on the web anymore). There is one thing I would like to
discuss:

In W and Max you configure a Widget via a variable argument list with a
token (the action or thing to change) and a value for this action. You end
up with a special token. Isn't this paradigma much less powerfull, then the
GC one used in X11, nano-X and GEM (virtual workstations=GC)?

In X11 e.g. you can set up a GC ready for use with - let's say - buttons.
You can set a fg/bg-color, a font etc.  Now you can use this GC a several
time. In W or Max you would have to set the widgets look each time again -
explicitely.

I tell that in thinking about the discussion to eventually create a new
basic widget set especially for nano-X. If we would make a new one, we
could use all features of nano-X and could tune it to use nano-X's concepts
exclusively. It would be very powerful and small - but not more
multiplatform, than nano-X.

---
Martin