nanogui: Why Microwin

Subject: Re: Why Microwin
From: "John Waldron" ####@####.####
Date: 21 Feb 2001 14:22:14 -0000

I think what is interesting about QT's stance is that with these multiple
licenses, they can basically charge anyone who makes money from shipping
their product, potentially.

Most product developers wouldn't use entirely GPL'd code because of having
to release their source to their customers (and potentially their
competetors).  Therefore, they would take advantage of dynamic modules, LGPL
libs and the like to protect their "IP".  What will be interesting to see is
whether or not this strategy works for QT.  My personal belief is that those
people who develop products on Linux do so for at least one very important
reason: NO Run-Time cost while still keeping their IP safe.

I am sure that some folks will GPL all their code because they are trying to
move HW, but others will not and I do not believe that those people will
tolerate a run-time royalty and, voila! Microwindows/Nano-X to the rescue!

John