nanogui: Re: framebuffer without lilo

Subject: Re: OT: framebuffer without lilo
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2001 20:32:54 -0000

I recently discovered (the hard way), that framebuffer support with
various boot loaders is not very consistant.  For example, LOADLIN,
which either doesn't support frambuffer mode (or indeed, anyway to pass
a suitable value to the kernel), or it does it in some exotic way that I
am unaware of.  So if you are planning to use something other than LILO
on an X86 system, good luck to you, and let the list know if you are
successful.

Having said that, the good folks at M-Systems have given us a version of
lilo that was prepared especially for DOC systems, and I gotta tell you,
it works like a charm.  I have used it on two seperate DOC based systems
with great results.

A copy of the modified lilo (binary, source, documentation and special
boot sector file) is available directly from the M-Systems website (this
link is for the millennium chip, but you can search around for your
particular chip):

http://m-sys.com/drivers.asp?PID=1&FAM=doc&FILE=docmillennium

Pick the linux drivers and you are good to go.  This tarball includes
the lilo, the latest drivers, and a ready to use initrd that is pretty
slick.

Also, here is an copy of the lilo.conf that I used, it should be a good
starting point (once again, this is for the millinium chip):

map=/boot/map
install=/boot/doc.b
prompt
timeout=50