nanogui: WineCE, final answer?

Subject: Re: WineCE, final answer?
From: Jakov af Wallby ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2001 09:14:57 -0000

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Robert Hartley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am  trying to find out what sort of interest there would be in
> stripping down the Windows emulation stuff from WINE (www.winehq.org) so
> that it would be equivalent to WinCE or PocketWindows.
>
> Would the users represented by the people on this mail list be
> interested in the ability to run Windows CE applications on a Linux
> based PDA?
>
> (Please note I am not asking anyone here to do the work, simply whether
> or not they would find it useful if someone else were to have done it
> for them.)
>
> Thanks very much for your encouragement,

I personally don't care for WinCE at all, but I can perhaps give some
advice regarding Wine.
Wine is a Win32 implementation for i386 Unixes. There was an emulator for an
i8086 in there too, so you could run Win16 programs on non-intel platforms.
(Like Word6 and other such older stuff.) Currently win32 programs only
run on intel processors, but the road is kept open for adding 386 cpu
emulation later on.

Wine is _also_ a link library to ease porting of Windows programs to linux.
In quite a few cases, you can take unchanged windows source code and compile
it into a linux (or other target) executable, _regardless_ of CPU architecture.
This is perhaps where its' greatest future potential lies. Especially considering
WinCE often (always?) runs on non-intel hardware anyway. I'd imagine adding WinCE
support should not be _that_ hard.

Regarding stripping, wine is quite efficient by itself already.
(Especially when considering using wine as a link library... you only use what
you need...)

regards,
Jakob Eriksson