nanogui: GTK+ making progress towards 2.0

Subject: Re: GTK+ making progress towards 2.0
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 5 Apr 2001 16:27:30 -0000

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> I would rather that everyone spend their time developing natively with
> TinyWidgets. If everyone is worried about GTK compatibility, then why
> not develop a GTK api glue layer to TinyWidgets - That way we can keep
> the small environment while at the same time staying compatible with the
> larget toolsets.

I suspect that would probably be a much bigger job than simply updating
the GTK+ port to Nano-X actually. I see the two toolkits as serving
different purposes; the GTK+ port would cater for people who have existing
GTK+ applications that they want to bring to Nano-X and don't mind about
the large size of GTK+, whilst TinyWidgets will provide the basis for the
native "PDA/embedded system/IA environment" that I'm planning to develop.

Ideally I think we should be aiming to eventually have Nano-X ports of
all the most popular popular X toolkits (GTK+, QT, TK, the Java AWT,
perhaps Wine, maybe even Motif) so as to provide people with an easy
migration path from X11. At the same time we'll be developing our own
integrated environment and application suite designed specifically for
small systems (PDAs, internet appliances, embedded systems, etc.) which
people can use when writing natively for the system.

--
------- Alex Holden -------
http://www.linuxhacker.org/