nanogui: displaying console and "tux" on framebuffer

Subject: Re: displaying console and "tux" on framebuffer
From: Steven Hein ####@####.####
Date: 1 May 2001 15:39:48 -0000

Jordan Crouse wrote:

> Well, there are several issues at play here.  First of all, tell me a little
> bit about your system.  Are you using your LCD as your main console, or is it
> a secondary device?  Are you running a kernel framebuffer directly on the
> LCD?  It is a standard VESA framebuffer, or a home grown variety?
>

> Tell me a little bit more about your setup, and I will see if I can't give
> you a hand.

It's a custom board based on Motorola's MBX, with an 860T processor.
We have an Epson SED1375 LCD controller.  I wrote the driver myself,
using "skeletonfb.c" driver as an example (using the
generic fbgen.c operations where possible), as well
as looking at several other drivers in drivers/video, and referencing
an Epson written frame buffer driver.  As far as "standard VESA
framebuffer",
I'm not sure exactly what that means.

The main console is a serial console; the LCD is a secondary device.
(It is the only framebuffer registered in the system).

Here's what else I know via pouring through the code and sprinkling
printk's:   fbcon_init() is never being called, and neither are
con_open() or visual_init() in drivers/char/console.c.

When the kernel boots, I see the

    Console: switching to frame buffer device

message, but console data continues to come out through the serial port
and nothing is drawn on the frame buffer (which makes sense, as the
functions I mentioned above aren't being called).

Like I said, all I want is a logo drawn on the screen.  I could hack
some stuff into my driver to put one there (in fact, I had that in an
older version of my SED1375 driver), but I really wanted to do this
the right way....

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve