nanogui: nanogui widget set

Subject: RE: nanogui widget set
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 12:53:13 -0000

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Darran D. Rimron wrote:
> For some apps, the size of the font is *VERY* important, to the extent
> that a pixel off in either height or width can screw the dialog boxes
> quite heavily.... *shrug* it may be worth finding that free "almost

Sounds like bad design to me.

> identical" font and using that as default.  The closer to the "look and
> feel" of /real/ windows, Nano has, the easier it's going to be to drop
> it into the community of Microsoft Brainwashed folks.

If that's really what you want.

> Just out of interest, trolling about the web, Compaq are working on an

They finished it a long time ago. They're working on palmtop applications
which require a high speed processor, such as voice recognition, now.

> StrongARM based pocketPC with soft-keyboard called the Itsy[1], running

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a keyboard; just two buttons, a mike, and
a tilt sensor.

> an open-source patched 2.0.30 kernel with GGI drivers.  Sounds like a

The SA1100 Linux port they started has progressed a long way since they
released their code, I think the latest patches are against 2.2.9 and
support three or four different SA1100 based machines (with several more
in development). It has a framebuffer driver, which you could run Nano-X
on.

> prime target for nano-windows to me.  The combo could make a *REAL* good
> CE-device rival.  If the itsy ever gets our of vapourware. :)  When

Itsy was never intended to be anything other than a research project, so
it doesn't really qualify for the term "vapourware". For an SA1100 based
pocket machine that should eventually be purchasable (as well as open
hardware, so you can build your own if you have the facilities and
inclination) see http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~pleb/
There is also a the beginnings of a port of Linux to wince machines at
http://www.linuxce.org/ though it hasn't got anywhere near as far yet as
the port to CL-PS7100 based machines (such as the Psion 5 and Geofox) at
http://www.calcaria.net/

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :