nanogui: GTK+ port to nano-X

Subject: Re: GTK+ port to nano-X
From: "Amit Kulkarni" ####@####.####
Date: 17 May 2001 04:38:23 -0000

>Jordan, Amit: You guys were tlking about putting together a GUI builder for
>TinyWidgets a few weeks back. I thought about recomending that you look at
>Glade as a starting point. If Alan is right about other people porting new
>widget sets to it now then you really ought to take a look at it. It may be
>very easy to add TinyWidgets layout modules to.

There is a gui builder called TinyDesigner that ships with TinyWidgets. This
designer pretty much imitates glade (the files it generates, and the various
support functions like lookup_widget..). Unfortunately, the designer runs on
nano-X and nanowm (uh.. why did we think of that,i dunno).

Also regarding all this prolonged discussion about gtk, there are a few
issues.

1. Are all the widgets in gtk really useful for embedded purpose?
2. Does the look and feel of the widgets suit PDA displays?
3. The architecture of nano-X in my opinion is a bit different from the X
architecture.

The idea would be to port the API (and not the code).
We need something to make a C code believe that GTK+ exists on this system.
The better idea would be to simply rewrite the API (probably of
tinywidgets.. after hard testing...) to make a program believe gtk+ exists
here. A tinywidgets program structure is very much like a gtk program
structure.

I know.. the tinydesigner needs to be ported for X. Anybody heard of someone
who ports things the other way round :-)

Amit