nanogui: More...Porting to a custom video device

Subject: RE: [nanogui] More...Porting to a custom video device
From: "Gray, Tim" ####@####.####
Date: 24 May 2001 15:50:56 -0000

Ok I think I have an Idea of what he means.

Example:  I grab a standard parallel input LCD that is
240X64 pixels 1bpp only.  This device sits on either the parallel port or a
General purpose I/O bus.

would it be feasible to write a framebuffer driver for the linux kernel for
such a device, or would it be easier to just write a driver for microwindows
that just dumps the display to a block of ram and then have a daemon running
that snags that block of ram and shovel it to the device....

I have never tried to write a linux device driver, let alone a display
driver. But I have used Parallel LCD's in many embedded projects coupled
with linux.  The easy way is to make your application talk to the device
directly.

On a side note, this is very interesting to me, as a project I am currently
working on follows these same lines...

Sorry if I am way off base, or just added to the noise.