nanogui: Some Microwindows + widget questions.

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Some Microwindows + widget questions.
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jun 2001 20:36:53 -0000

: 1) Should I use framebuffers or SVGAlib for Microwindows, or is it really
: the same which one I use? So far I haven't done any X-programming, just
: lots of C/C++/Java programming on Windows, so I don't have a good
: understanding of the pros and cons of using the various graphics display
: systems on Linux.

Definitely use the framebuffer option, not SVGAlib.  There's been quite
a bit of work done on NS Geode framebuffer drivers, and they work
well.  The SVGAlib is an extra layer that is chip-specific, and not well
implemented under Microwindows.

:
: 2) I don't think that I want to do XLib- or GDI-programming directly,so I
: would like to use some widget-library on top of Microwindows. I have
: understood that FLTK and GTK+ are being being ported to work with
: Microwindows, so I could basically choose any one of them and stick with
: that. Are they both already working correctly? Any recommendations which
: would be more mature? I have no experience on either one of them, so the
: choise is open. Remember that I have some memory-constraints on the board.

I would suggest FLTK for Nano-X (Microwindows), available
from www.viewml.com in as flnx.

:
: 3) When is the next release of Microwindows scheduled to be released?

I've got the latest version in CVS, available at cvs.microwindows.org.
I've been adding the many patches received, and then I hope to
release 0.89pre8, which has great support for digital video.