nanogui: GTK Ideas

Subject: Re: GTK Ideas
From: Alan Cox ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:06:18 -0000

> Sounds interesting. Any idea what would be the minimum needed to implement
> in Nano-X to be able to port it to a version suitable for linking into
> Nano-X? How big is it? What features does it implement? Is it available
> for download anywhere?

Its C++. Thats the biggest problem. I need to move the changes into lwm which
is another 9wm derivative that is in C and therefore cleaner.

> multiple overlapping windows, it's just the way the WM policies prevent
> you from doing it. I'd like to be able to have more than one window on
> the screen simultaneously if I choose to, even though the default will
> probably be full screen (or maybe almost full screen, but with a panel for
> things like clocks and disk meters on one side, like Epoc).

Right now the policy is

(Screen width - 100 pixels , screen height) are is the application area. All
managed non transients are forcibly stuffed there. Transients are centered
on this area and moveable so you can always look under a dialog box.

The second strip on the right is only accessible to unmanaged windows - like
the gnome panel, which is exactly what lives there on my test setup.

It does feel very psion-ish actually

All 9wm derived programs basically want is simple text/line drawing functions,
the ability to send/receive messages and to manage and resize windows. The
obvious one we don't seem to have is the idea of reparenting. Also nanogui
doesnt yet have a scheme as X does where a program says 'this big' and the wm
says 'no that big'

Alan