nanogui: Re: Reactivate

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Re: Reactivate
From: "Chris Ross" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jul 2001 13:57:45 -0000

From my personal experience Wine runs apps just as fast as windows.
This is because it's not emulating hardware but merely making sure
that when a windows program running under unix (x86) makes a library
call it either reaches the real dll or an internal emulated one. For
example GDI calls, and windowing is handled by the X11 layer. This all
in all means that programs (when they run) run very quickly - you
can easily use say, UltraHLE (n64 emaultor for windows) under linux
with no obvoious speed drop. The only obvious draw back is that you
have to be using x86 hardware.

VMWare on the other hand emulates *everything* and also passes things
like networking back to the host machine - hence why it is slower.

It's pretty much a case of swings and roundabouts - wine allows you to
run, at almost native speed, windows applications whereas vmware allows
you to run almost any operating system that will run on x86 hardware and
is therefore going to be slower as it has to emulate opcodes rather than
just catch system calls.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Chris Ross

                   http://www.darkrock.co.uk |  http://www.ferite.org
                                          | ferite scripting language
        "I dont suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it..."