nanogui: Re: Reactivate

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Re: Reactivate
From: "John Zulauf" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jul 2001 16:06:06 -0000

Chris Ross wrote:

> ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. i getcha :)

Yes but it is the virtualization that yeilds the performance hit of
Jeffery commented on.  Any HW call is caught and handled a bit by
software.

The real situation is that VMWare (plus a copy of Windows) will
essentially run everything, but at a lower speed.  WINE will not run
everything (in fact runs a small subset of everything) but does so at
full native speed.

The interesting part of this is since all we are **really** interested
in is the plugins (the rest of the applications either don't apply to
information appliances or have reasonable replacements) WINE can be well
leveraged to support just the the subset of Win32 needed by these
plugins to be useful to IA devices.

And yes machine emulation isn't pratical (even for a plugin).  You do
need an x86 compatible processor.  Funny thing, I just happen to have
one!!! =-)  (why do you think I was interested in this in the first
place.)

John Zulauf
National Semiconductor