nanogui: GTK Ideas

Subject: Re: GTK Ideas
From: "Jason Scannell" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:38:41 -0000

> > What about a CDE/KDE/Gnome style panel instead of a Windows style task
> > bar?  Application launching and window selection would have to be
>
> I don't think there's much difference really. One has a button with
> "Start" on it, and the other has a button with a picture of a footprint on
> it... Both have a menu system that lets you choose applications, both can
> embed applets.

The main difference if the way they minimize and the way applications and
icons dock into them, otherwise they are similar.

> > incorporated into the same panel more like Gnome to help save screen
> > space.  I have actually drawn some prototypes to see how things would
>
> It's called a chooser. Though keyboard shortcuts are probably more useful,
> especially if you're dealing with a touchpad or trackball.

Keyboard shortcuts don't tend to be user friendly, they are of course
manditory in the event that the mouse (or other pointing device) isn't
available.  You will also have to take into account the devices that don't
have a keyboard at all and function entirely through a touchscreen.

> > much screen space, it's too tall.  A handwriting recognition area should
> > also be considered in the overall layout.
>
> Handwriting recognition is a seperate issue.

Of course handwriting recognition is a totally separate project.  Since it
will require screen space the window manager will need to account for it in
a manor similar to the panel, which is why I talk about it in the same
context.  I don't have any specific ideas in this area but I'd rather see it
taken into account now rather than becoming an after thought later.  I don't
mean to start a discussion on handwriting recognition but rather how to
provide the screen space for it.

Jason