nanogui: Patch for Shared Memory Pixmaps

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Patch for Shared Memory Pixmaps
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Aug 2001 15:52:33 -0000

: and the default of "No, this isn't shared memory, just a regular old Pixmap
: request" goes from addr=0 to shmid=-1, since shmget() specifies -1 as the
: invalid value for the id of a System V shared memory region.
:
: Is this useful?  Is it the same intent as the FIXME comments for shared
: memory?  Should I clean it up and post it somewhere?

David,
    This sounds great!  I definitely suggest cleaning it up, and sending me
the patch.  I need to think a bit about whether to change the old API,
or use the old one.  I'm thinking that perhaps one answer is an address
and a flags argument, which can indicate the type of memory that is
being passed to GrNewPixmap.  Then, we add an additional server
call that allows memory to be mapped in-between processes, so that
either the server or client can draw into it.  This idea fits with the new
client-side framebuffer mapping that I've implemented for pre9.
Perhaps the same server call could be used to map shared framebuffer memory
as well as pixmap memory.  Nonetheless, I need to think about this a bit.