nanogui: Microwindows on Digital Satellite Settop Boxes? Some Questions...

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Microwindows on Digital Satellite Settop Boxes? Some Questions...
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 20 Aug 2001 14:07:58 -0000

Just a few quick comments:

> :   - Settop boxes normally only have an infrared remote - no keyboard
> : (even if an ir keyboard is possible - but not standard for everyone);-)
> : Are there plans to support IR devices?
>
> My recommendation is that the IR device be interfaced with Microwindows
> to look like a keyboard device.  In this way, either special MWKEY_xxx
> keystrokes or regular characters can be generated by a keyboard or a
> remote control device.  This also is just a KEYBOARD driver in
> Microwindows, and not a big effort.

The IR interface is normally handled through the kernel, and then passed to a
userland device through a device file.  If the kernel driver is written
correctly, it should act exactly like a keyboard driver which passes special
scancodes for the various buttons.  Then it is a simple matter of writing a
simple Microwindows keyboard device to read the special scancodes and act on
them.  You can either grow your own kernel driver, or you can grab one from
the web.  So many people have tried to do this, that a pseudo-standard has
emerged.   Check the web for IR related projects, you will be pleasantly
surprised.

> :   - Can microwindows be stripped of unused functions? (reason: only
> :     7 MB of flash memory for the complete system (kernel, libs,
> :     applications, data).

If you are using only C based programs (no C++!!), then I recommend uClibc
(http://oss.lineo.com).  You will use up half the space with no loss in
performance.