nanogui: Re: question for microwindows

Subject: Re: question for microwindows
From: Gary James ####@####.####
Date: 26 Oct 2001 02:20:03 -0000

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:58:04 Man wrote:
> Dear Gary,
>
> 	Hi, i am a student from hongkong.I have visited your microwindows
> tutorial and i get a lot of infornmation that let me start to nano-X. But
> i still have some questions here, can u answer me.
> 	First, i want to briefly explain what i am going to write. In
> fact i am doing my school project abiut a GPS on a ipaq linux pda. So i
> want to write a program which can have a map viewing and communicate
> with the GPS reciever which connected though serial port.

That sounds like a great project. A guy I work with did a similar thing for
his Hand Spring Visor. Now he records his travels on bicycle. Later he
plots
the course that he took in three dimensions on his PC. The only problem
with his program is that it doesn't use Linux, unfortunately he is a
Windows fan :(

> 	My questions is that is the microwindows can allow and fully
> support me to write this program.( i mean can it control the serial
> prot)?

No Microwindows can not help you with the serial port programming. But
programming for the serial port under Linux is rather easy. The following
link is a very good reference. There are a few other serial programming
HOWTOs around, but I like this one the best.
http://www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/serial.html

> 	Moreover, how can i add button to the program, as i cannot find
> it in the nano-X PDF? Also, what is the relation between microwindows
> with FLTK? can i use GTK instead of microwindows  in the ipaq?

The nano-X API is a low level interface, below the widget level. Usually
buttons are found within a widget library. FLTK, GTK and TinyWidgets are
all widget sets. GTK is not (AFAIK) ported to nano-X, but FLTK and
TinyWidgets are. There are links to both these projects on my web site.
http://home.twcny.rr.com/embedded/microwin/links.html

> 	I would appreciate if u can solve my problems?
>
> Best Regards,
> Man

Good Luck,
Gary James