nanogui: nxterm colors and license

Subject: nxterm colors and license
From: Eero Tamminen ####@####.####
Date: 26 Oct 2001 14:32:03 -0000

Hi,

I've just taken a look at MicroWindows and noticed that
it's Nano-X part has "nxterm" terminal that is based on
really old version of "wterm", the "W window system"
terminal emulator.

I've added "terminfo" entry, X-term mouse event & color
support, keycode mapping (arrow keys etc) and manual page
to "wterm" in 1998 (and Benjamin Sittler provided some
bugfixes to "wterm" color handling and attribute resetting
later on).

These additions, if added to "nxterm" would provide the
following things:

* X-term like mouse handling will make you able to use
  mouse at least in following text mode programs (for
  versions of them supporting these Xterm mouse events):
  - "Emacs", "Jed" and "Pine" text editors
  - "Midnight Commander" file manager
  - "Tin" newsreader

* Ansi color support will make you able to use for example
  following text mode color programs:
  - "slsc" spreadsheet (Slang version of "sc")
  - "slrn" newsreader
  - "mutt" mail reader
  - "mmail" BBS mail reader
  - "lynx" and "w3m" WWW-browsers
  - "funktracker" mod tracker
  - "aumix" sound mixer
  - "colorcal" calender
  - "xaos" fractal zoomer
  - "myman" pacman (with vertical scrolling! :-))
  (there are quite few other color games too)

* terminfo entry will in general make your "ncurses", "slang"
  and "AA" library using programs work better, especially when
  you add correct MW arrow key mappings to "nxterm".

My last WWW-page went out of the net year ago,  I can of course
email the latest W package (or suitable parts of it) to anybody
interested (and I think that some Helio related project at sourceforge
has a mirror of later W source too).

Btw. it would be appropiate if some file in the MicroWindows
distribution would list files that are not under MPL or contain
code from sources with other licenses.............

Prior to 1998, W was under Torsten Scherer's own license,
which prohibits commercial use without written permission from
him, after that W libraries were under LGPL and other W sources
under GPL.

Mentioning also who did what changes when to the "nxterm"
sources (currently it lists my 98 Jan changes to be the latest ones)
or removing them altogether would be nice too :-).

	- Eero