nanogui: Microwindows for Hercules

Subject: Microwindows for Hercules
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jul 1999 16:19:33 -0000

: I am not realy up to writing the driver myself because I have never writen a
: driver before, but I will test it for you. I have 2 8086's with herc cards
: in.

	Well, last night I took Jacob's hercules code samples and wrote
a complete hercules graphics driver for MicroWindows and Nano-X.  I wrote
all the driver entry points, but since I don't have a hercules card, I can't test it.
Basically, the hercules card appears to use 32k of graphics ram for 720x350 mono
pixels starting at segment b000.  Each "screen ram line" corresponds to 4 physical
scan lines, and there's one bit per pixel.  There's a sequence of OUT instructions
to turn the card from text to graphics modes and back, and I use int10 to get
the bios rom's character set map.

	The files mwin/src/drivers/scr_herc.c are the hercules driver and
mwin/src/drivers/elksutil.c are some support functions to read/write far data, etc.

	I'm looking for volunteers to test, I think this baby should run pretty quickly.
It will be slow, since I've implemented hline by calling drawpixel.  This
needs to be sped up by drawing a scan line directly.  I didn't want to do that
until I knew drawpixel() works.

	The files are all incorporated in microwindows 0.83, due on my site in about
fifteen minutes...